Smoke Signal

Escape The Room Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Escape The Room Review

Alyssa Slovin, Kira Ota, Becky Michnowski, Anna Rodefeld, Sanjana Jampana, Rana Hussein, Christine Shi and Karolyn Ficken ('18) at Escape The Room

Escape The Room is a puzzle-based game where you along with 9 other people are locked in a room with only one goal: escape. You get 60 minutes to solve a multitude of clues and find the key that unlocks the door. You periodically receive hints from a “Cluemaster” but for the most part, you and your team have to work together to solve the puzzles and figure out how to get out of the room.

Escape the Room is complex and requires creative thinking and cooperation in order to complete the tasks. You don’t need to be a genius to figure out the clues either. Every task builds off the last, and it gets progressively more exciting as you go along. Only 20% of the groups escape, meaning 80% do not make it out within the hour. It will be an enjoyable experiencewhether you complete the room or not.

My  friends and I  went to one of the Escape the Room locations in Philadelphia and participated in the room called “The Dig”. It was a tough challenge and there were points in which nothing seemed to make sense, but by working together to complete all of the objectives, we were able to escape “The Dig” with a time of 51 minutes and 40 seconds.

Karolyn Ficken (‘18) had some advice for anyone who is thinking about trying Escape the Room. “You really need to be aware of your surroundings and pay close attention to small details because they all lead back to the clues.”

“Each clue led to a new clue that required a whole new way of thinking,” says Alyssa Slovin (‘18), “It was all really complex and sometimes confusing and creepy, but it does all come together in a really amazing way!”

Rana Hussein (‘18) said, “I would definitely recommend going because it’s something really unique and it gets everyone involved to think creatively. Everything seems to be really well thought-out and regardless of whether or not you make it out, it’s still a really fun experience.”

I would recommend Escape the Room to anyone who loves solving puzzles, wants a great challenge, or just wants to do something fun with their friends. It is a really fun activity to do, and since summer is coming up you may have an opportunity to try it out. I definitely hope to go back and try some of their other rooms when I get a chance. Escape the Room is immensely fun and people should definitely give it a try!